Monday, August 25, 2008

My Muse is a Siren

Why is it that as life get busier, there are always other things that you'd rather be doing? My life is complicated enough right now, and there seems to be a crack adicted muse that has taken up residence in my brain. Seriously, nothing is sacred or safe from being the trigger for yet another inspiration.

Work is getting busy. It's the end of the summer crunch where we're trying to get the ends of things tied up in time for the coming semester. This tends to mean long hours in the lab focused on research. Not hour long euchre games at lunch. Really. And definately not stained glass ideas. Seriously. But, in truth, at least one of these glass bunnies will probably come to life in the next week or so, as one of our Master's students graduates and heads away to do his PhD. In the mean time, does anyone else want a stained glass amino acid? Cofactor? Other small molecule? I've been thinking, and they shouldn't be too hard to put together. I wonder if there is a standard colour code for amino acids like there is for the elements... Wonder how that would look on and NSERC application...

Andre, bless him, is an woodworker, and has more woodworking magazine subscriptions that I can keep straight. And there always seems to be another one in the mail box. My favourite part of these (appart from the hilarious titles - "Trick Out Your Bandsaw" or "Mission Style Outside of the Bedroom") are the reader's galleries, where subscribers send in pictures of their own work. They are always unbelievably excellent pieces, even if I would never want to own most of them. But every so often there is that one piece that is just wow. For my muse this week, wow isn't good enough. Oh no. Can't admire the Craftsman wash stand with tiled top and stained glass back splash, and let it be, she has to stop and think for a moment before spitting out an idea for a drop leaf dinning room table set, 6-8 chairs, mahogany, oil type finish... with the details arranged just so. I spent a good half hour trying to get Andre to understand what I was seeing behind my eyelids, but I think he got it. Anyone want to donate many many board feet of at least 6/4 rough cut lumber? No?

The knitting is the worst. A local craft store had a sale on baby yarn last weekend. Now, I'm trying to be good, and not buying anything that is not going to be immediately earmarked for a specific project. But yarn sale!!! So, the muse delivered again. Baby jacket, purple (running out of gender safe stuff!), a copy of one that Andre's grandmother made over 20 years ago. I'm going to try to figure out the pattern. Once I do, it should be my first original pattern (with credits to Nanny Skanes of course). Wish me luck, I might need it. Oh, and I must confess, the other baby yarn doesn't actually have a project yet. But it was on sale!

I have a stitch pattern idea too... not sure where it's going to work best yet (maybe sweater panels, maybe a scarf). I'm not certain that it's going to work out at all, but I'll let you know. If I ever get around to it. Oh, and an idea for a cabled sweater too...

I also have to confess, I picked up another long forgotten hobby last week. Andre's grandfather was visiting from Sudbury (love you Poppy!!) and he and Andre's parents went out to the old airforce base that he was stationed at, way back in the day. Many many many years ago, Poppy lost most of his belonings (but thankfully no family) in a house fire. The losses included his military mementos, like the crest pin for his maroon beret (the beret too). Unfortunately, the base didn't have another one, since he served when the King's Crown was still in use, rather than the current Queen's Crown. But there was a cross-stitch pattern of the crest. Guess who's working on that now!! It's looking really good actually. I'm kinda proud!

In other news, a big hug to Colleen for her birthday!!!!! It's a big one, but I won't say how few candles this year. Oh, and she is responsible for introducing us to this crazy insane online show things. Dr. Horrible's Sing Along Blog. If you've never heard of it, check it out! If you have, then you know what I'm talking about. The world needs more super-villan musicals. Enjoy.

BTW, for all you handycrafty people who are reading (yes you) check out Etsy. It's like Ebay, only specifically for hand crafted stuff!! Uber cool. Especially the knitting stuff. Rovings, hand spun and dyed yarns, patterns, finished things. It's all there! And the Geekery part is the best!! I think I need to have a baby so that I can dress them in cool geeky baby clothes. How about it Andre?

So, if anybody would like an over-active muse with siren like tendancies, let me know. I'm looking to evict this one. I'll take her back in November (maybe) in time for Christmas shopping, but right this minute I need to be thinking about grant applications and lab work, not knitting. Back to work then.

No comments: