Saturday, February 16, 2013

Time Out in the GTA

The last few weeks were meant to be productive in so many ways... There is a bedroom to finish, knitting to do, year end paperwork for André to complete.  We were going to be so organized, the Dewy Decimal system would look chaotic in comparison.

Right.  Not so much.

Instead, André caught a wicked bad cold/flu thing.  And I went for an impromptu visit to Toronto. 

So the house is still a wreck - tools in my living room and the such like.  The bedroom still isn't done (although while we have working blinds and super cool curtains now, we had to make some adjustments to the outlets next to the bed meaning some significant drywall patching... and more painting). 

On the bright side though, taking the train to Toronto gave me hours and hours of me time.  Me and a cup of coffee, my knitting and my thoughts.  So an entire ball of Knit Picks Andean Treasure in Mystique became this (pattern on Ravelry somewhere, I'll find it when I show you the finished item):


And that was just the 4.5 hours on the trip up!  Yes, it's another hat.  André and I have both lost ours (yes, he lost Exeter.  It took him 3 weeks.).  There've been a few more rows added since with the start of the second ball.  It's progressing nicely.  And is now on hold.  I needed the needles for a special request. 

I love taking the train places, and despite André's suggestion that I fly (with our airmiles it worked out to almost the same price), it's just as well I did.  Last friday saw yet another massive snow dump on southern and eastern Ontario.  This would be our third in Ottawa, we're used to it.  But Toronto?  Not so much.  Flights were being cancelled on both ends, and the 401 highway was a disaster (which I would have been on had I decided to take the bus.  But really... more leg room, more space, and only $16 more?  TRAIN!).  And we were only 20 minutes late pulling in, which for VIA rail is par for the course. 

I was met at the train station by my darling sister Amy.  She moved to Toronto a few weeks ago and is settling in.  What better time for a sister visit!  It was fantastic :D  We talked for hours, it's so nice to catch up with family like that.

I had a few simple requirements for traveling to Toronto.  One - there must be coffee in the morning.  No problem, Amy drinks as much as I do.  And hers is better.  Check.

Two - At some point during the weekend there would be a return trip to The Purple Purl.  André and I had visited this wonderful store a few years back as they celebrated their first anniversary.  Now I'm back just after their 5th!  It's a perfect combination of cozy yarn store with added bonus cafe.  Try the peanut butter square thingies.  Heaven!

Amy is an artist.  Illustration mostly.  Her work is beautiful and she is seriously talented.  But working long hours sketching and on the computer can mean chilly fingers.  At her request we picked up some yarn for fingerless gloves/arm warmers.



I've already lost the tag for this one, but it's been a real treat to work with.  When/if I find it I'll let you know what it is.  Most of it has already become Linda K's Yummy Mummy Wristwarmers with some modifications (shorter thumb, but way longer up the arm).



I had the ball wound up at the store, and by the time the train came in to Ottawa, I had one complete.  The other is well on its way.


We also picked up some Turtlepurl self striping sock yarn in Gothic Plum.  It's super neat - you get 2 identical balls so that if you knit one sock with one, and start the second at the same point on the second ball you get 2 perfectly matched socks!  It has not been started yet, there will need to be some form of pattern design for this one.  I'd really like to knit wrist warmers from the fingers down since I don't know how long each ball will last, but I have yet to find ANY patterns that do this.  There will be some inventing in my future I believe.




I also managed to steal an afternoon to spend with the incredible duo of Jenny and David, two of my longest and best friends in the world.   We had crepes and went to the library (Sherlock Holmes at the Reference Library = GEEK OUT!) and visited David's theater.  All topped off with the most amazing dinner with Gigi and a quick visit with beloved Rachellelala.  Every so often I wonder why we don't move to Toronto.  Then we have conversations about housing prices there.  Combine that with traffic/commuting distances, and you've got your answer.  But it's sure fun to visit!

In short, a whirlwind weekend of amazing people, much knitting, and a chance to recenter myself.  I should do this more often.

In the mean time though, it's back to the daily grind.  There is laundry to do, paperwork to file, and a never ending list of house projects to tackle.  Bring it on!

No comments: