Thursday, January 10, 2013

Be Prepared

Things are starting to heat up around here.  And I don't just mean the nominations for the Oscars.  Andre's Exeter hat is finished!


Here's the handsome man himself modeling the warm and wonderful head topper.

What really got me about this pattern is the neat and orderly decreasing for the crown.  There's nothing worse that confused decreases messing with the zen of a project.  It took a wee bit of extra math to get the decreasing in the right spots, since I when down a size (by removing 16 stitches) but it was well worth it!



Yarn: Manos del Urugray Silk Blend in a beautiful almost charcoal black, approx 1.5 skeins. 
Needles: US 4, knit with magic loop method
Alterations: Pattern called for US5 and 128 stitches.  Down a needle size, and -16 stitches.

He's already put in his order for another one for next year.  We both know that he will loose this one, and that's fine.  As the Boy Scouts that he was such a proud member of for so long say, "Be Prepared".  So when I'm at Yarn Forward next week to pick up an order, I guess I'll have to grab another hank of the silk blend.  Hats are nice summer knitting, small and fast, and easy to carry around.  For now I've had enough of 2x2 ribbing in not-quite-black.  Time for some colour!

No comments: