Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Sea of No Cares

What a busy weekend! (Ok a few weeks ago, but busy since too!)

My wonderful in-laws got me and Andre tickets to see Great Big Sea at the local BluesFest (they, the in-laws, came too)! They (GBS) have got to be the bestest best live show ever!! (Ok, I've heard the Garth Brooks puts on one hell of a show, but I've never seen it *glares at Andre who HAS!*). The fantastic music, awesome crowd, and undescribably perfect show, it is still easy to pick out the two most perfect moments of the night.

One: At the start of the show GBS opened withmy favouritest song by them: Consequence Free. The sun had finally set, and the sky was just getting dark. The stages are set out in a generally unused field at the west end of downtown, and for the whole song the bright spot lights from the stage were hitting all of these crazy fireflies that were wondering where all these poeple came from. It was almost as good as Canada Day fireworks!

Two: Andre and I (trying) to dance in front of our seats to an amazing acoustic version Sea of No Cares. Married life is good. It might only be improved if Andre could actually sing. I love him anyway, cause I can't either.

Eight hours after returning to my bed, I was not only up, but out at the country's largest beach volleyball fest -HOPE. I got lucky this year, and there was space on a team that a friend on mine plays on. In all, music-not nearly as good as the night before, but the rest of the day was amazing! We went 4-1, losing only our first game as we learned how we played together.
Back to knitting. I'm always looking for something to do with my hands that lets me stay social, hence my obsession with knitting. When at home watching TV there are no worries about carrying everything I need around with me. Afgan? No problem! Crazy chart to follow? Not worried. When visiting friends and family, the project get smaller and simpler. Crazy chart, not so much. Sweater pieces? Absolutely. Shall? Baby stuff? Perfect. But what do you take out to a music festival or beach vollyball tournament?

It must be small, portable, simple, easy to pick up and drop at a moments notice. For once the challange of a complex pattern would be a nightmare. Simple is your friend. My variation on simple is a crochet granny-square throw that I've been working for lord knows how many years. Simple, fast, fun, EASY.

Basically the pattern is a whole whack of 2x2 inch squares of assorted colours, arranged and stitched into appropriate pattern. This particular pattern was the first crochetting project I undertook. Surprise! I'm not done. It's from a Leasure Arts Little Book of patterns that I picked up at the local bigbox store. Along with all the acrylic yarn to go with. So I can't actually give you the pattern (copyright and all), but I've posted some shots of where I am, after years of toil.
In all, between the Great Big Sea concert and my day at HOPE I got about 30 new navy blue squares to add to my bag of bits to attach. Eventually it will be done. Really.

Granny Patch Blanket, so far:


It will eventually be 4 3x3 blue squares across by 5 long. Once its all together, I'll edge the whole thing with another round of navy blue squares. That's the theory anyway.

Ah, Coal. If you ever want to find the cat, lay something out flat. Turn away for 30 seconds. By the time you look back, there he is!





1 comment:

Unknown said...

Glad you had fun at the concert while *I* was stuck at work! *mild glare* Anyway it's actually together! The last time I saw that blanket it was still in pieces (sp?). Aww, the kitty, how I miss thee. Anyway, it's looking good (blanket I mean). Can't wait to see it finished!