Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Walk On - Greener On the Other Side

I'm in the process of recovering from flu-hell-2013.  It's been an unpleasant week.  I'm mostly back to my normal self, if accompanied by a deep hacking cough that I hear can hang on for weeks.  But I'm sleeping (mostly) through the night again, and the world has stopped spinning if I think about sitting up. 

Needless to say, there hasn't been much knitting progress in the last few days.  However, I have continued a time honoured tradition that I started in grad school.  The latest installment has been delivered, so at least I have something knitting related to say.

When friends graduate, we all want them to walk out into the world, get "real" jobs, and be successful and all those awesome things.  But the real world is a cold and scary place. 

So I started a tradition.  When friends graduate, they get hand knit socks to keep them warm and safe as they go.  It's not much, but it's the least I can do. 

Now that I've graduated, and most of my friends have as well, I haven't knit a pair of graduation socks in a long while.  But one of the girls at work just finished her undergrad over Christmas, and is moving half way across the province to be closer to better job opportunities (apparently Toronto has more of a market for those with International Business and Marketing degrees than Ottawa... go figure). 

Christine (not Irate Avian Christine, but another one) taught me my job.  And is smart and pretty and funny and all kinds of awesome.  So Friday, as she breezed back through town en-route to a concert in Montreal stopped by work to collect her graduation socks. 



I generally try and take requests for socks, I want people to like their socks.  Christine's only request was green.  Well, green I can do!

So walk on Christine.  Go forth, kick ass, take names, and hopefully the grass in Toronto is greener than here. 

No comments: