Thursday, October 30, 2008

Winter Already?

So Mother Nature seems to be eager for a repeat of last years almost record breaking snow fall, and has decided to start early! We had a wicked winter storm blow in on Monday night, dumping 11 cm (about 4") of snow on us in about 12 hours. And the wind!! One would almost think that we had our own little Canadian Hurricane.

Yesterday it started melting a little bit, and today a little bit more. And it's supposed to get up to 13C tomorrow, so the Trick-or-Treaters should be nice and warm. But I wanted to get some picture before it all went away to show some people who are away in warm places (Colleen this means you!!) what we went through without them. I took these this morning in a little park just behind my research building.



I really like winter and snow. Fresh snow makes everything look so delicate and clean! And the sound of falling snow is just so soothing. Winter aslo means things like skating and snowball fights, getting to use our fireplace more, and finally wearing those newly knit sweaters (once I finish them). I know, some people would call me crazy, but still. As long as it's snowing, I'll be content in my insanity.

We've got a chipmunk that lives under our shed in our back yard. When it started snowing my first thought was of concern! He's so cute and little, does he have enough food to survive the winter? Has he had enough time to get ready? But, Andre reminds me, he has emptied our birdfeeder twice. I'm sure he'll be fine.

So back to the research for now, but tonight, I forcast sweater seeming, fireplace enjoying, and wine.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Eewww! Look at all that snow!! I'm not ready! I hope we have more warmer weather before the real winter kicks in. The Caribbean was amazing, I'll have to show you pictures, but unfortunately, our luggage didn't make it home :P
We may get it this morning...we'll see. See you at work!

Colleen